In my previous post, Glowing & Green for 2017, I mentioned that adding more greens to my diet was part of my New Years resolutions. Greens are actually fairly easy to add into your diet; I for one am not a fan of eating them on their own so I try to cook some spinach into recipes or blend some in my smoothies. Once you add other flavors you barely notice that there are even greens in there.
Smoothies are a great way to get some fruits, veggies, and even spices that aren’t your favorite to eat, even though you know they are really healthy. One thing I really wish I liked because I know how healthy it is for you, is coconut water. I know it’s super hydrating and I can manage to drink the flavored ones sometimes but I can’t seem to like plain coconut water, so I add it in a smoothie.
I go through phases with smoothie recipes, and while it’s great to mix it up and try different flavors, I always end up making the same one for a while because then I know I’m not letting any ingredients go bad before I get to use them. If I do mix it up, I may just switch out the frozen fruits and keep the base ingredients the same.
Lately, I’m blending:
- 1 cup organic spinach – spinach is full of antioxidants, iron, vitamins and minerals, and omega-3s
- 1 organic banana – bananas are a great source of fiber, potassium, and many other vitamins necessary for digestion and heart health
- 1/2 cup organic coconut water – (add more if necessary) coconut water is full of electrolytes which help to hydrate your body
- 1 cup frozen organic strawberries – full of vitamin C, antioxidants, and omega 3s
- 1/2 cup frozen organic pineapple – pineapple actually aids in flushing out toxins from the body so it’s a great addition to your morning smoothie
- 1 pinch of turmeric – I like adding a bit of turmeric to recipes whenever I can due to its anti-inflammatory properties
And there you have it, just blend together and enjoy a healthy start to your day. I try to prep everything the night before to make my mornings easier because I for one am not a morning person; let’s just say that’s another goal for 2017 😉
Thanks for reading!